Planning for the new TSMMD Instrumentation Discovery Feature

Topics: Aspects, Instrumentation, VSMMD
Feb 7, 2008 at 5:37 AM
Quick question regarding the new TSMMD feature your mention on http://blogs.msdn.com/daiken/archive/2008/01/09/new-year-models-code-discovery-and-management-pack-generation.aspx, which discovers instrumentation in an app: We are creating a single instrumentation class which is invoked with a using statement from each aspect in our app that we want to capture instrumentation for. Will the new TSMMD discovery feature be able to recognize the fact that our general-use instrumentation class is handling instrumentation for many distinct aspects of our app? Is there anything that we need to do (in our code) to ensure that the TSMMD discovery feature recognizes the context of each call to our instrumentation class (so that we can map our instrumentation to the .vsmmd instrumentation model)? Thanks for your help, I want to make sure I am ready for TSMMD!
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2008 at 4:06 PM
Hi Terry,

If I understand your scenario correctly you have a class that fires instrumentation and that class is referenced throughout your application. If your class uses the .NET Framework to fire events and the reference is explicit (early binding) then yes TSMMD will discover the instances that use your class. These instances will each be enumerated and can be mapped to Managed Entities as you develop a Health Model.
-Bill

terryc_ms wrote:
Quick question regarding the new TSMMD feature your mention on http://blogs.msdn.com/daiken/archive/2008/01/09/new-year-models-code-discovery-and-management-pack-generation.aspx, which discovers instrumentation in an app: We are creating a single instrumentation class which is invoked with a using statement from each aspect in our app that we want to capture instrumentation for. Will the new TSMMD discovery feature be able to recognize the fact that our general-use instrumentation class is handling instrumentation for many distinct aspects of our app? Is there anything that we need to do (in our code) to ensure that the TSMMD discovery feature recognizes the context of each call to our instrumentation class (so that we can map our instrumentation to the .vsmmd instrumentation model)? Thanks for your help, I want to make sure I am ready for TSMMD!