Upgrade path from VSMMD (VS 2005) to planned VS 2008 release?

Topics: Health Modeling, Instrumentation, VSMMD
Feb 6, 2008 at 4:41 PM
If I
a.) develop my app instrumentation now using VS 2005, and later upgrade to VS 2008, or
b.) have one app dev'd using VSMMD for VS 2005 and another created with your planned VS 2008 VSMMD release
...can I count on the api for the generated VSMMD instumentation code to be the same (or at least is the VSMMD for 2008 backward compatable with code generated from VSMMD for VS 2005)?

Also, do you have any api/reference docs you can publish for the new VS 2008 TSMMD?

Thanks
Feb 7, 2008 at 4:49 AM
If I understand what I read on http://blogs.msdn.com/daiken/archive/2008/01/09/new-year-models-code-discovery-and-management-pack-generation.aspx correctly, the TSMMD discovery feature will find any instrumentation code in my app, and enable me to easily map my instrumentation code to the new TSMMD instrumentation model. So by definition the new TSMMD discovery feature is backward compatible with any instrumentation code, whether it was modeled using the previous VSMMD tool or not :) Is this Correct?
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:59 PM
The discovery of generated code is a special case for discovery. We specifically do not report generated instrumentation (InstrumentationAPI) in the discovery results for mapping to a managed entity although the instrumentation could be discovered.

Ideally we want the user to regenerate the model in Visual Studio 2008 and in doing so regain the ability to regenerate the Instrumentation folder in your solution.

So the bigger question is really about backward compatibility in the model schema. The V1 release of VSMMD was an initial effort to expose the tooling workflow around Model Driven Health Modeling and associated code generation. As we advance the tooling to RTW there has not been a focus on maintaining backward compatibility with prior versions of the CTP. There are several driving forces such as Windows Event 6.0 and the Common Model Library (CML) that we could not have foreseen when VSMMD was developed. For TSMMD these technologies have been on the radar as we designed and implemented TSMMD. Still there are likely to be breaking changes between the V2 CTP and RTW and beyond. Once the tooling reaches RTW it would be a safe bet that conversion tools would be made available to transform a previous version of the model.

And lastly regarding your question about the generated API, so far this has not changed. However this is still a CTP and based upon community feedback changes may be made in the future.

-Bill

terryc_ms wrote:
If I understand what I read on http://blogs.msdn.com/daiken/archive/2008/01/09/new-year-models-code-discovery-and-management-pack-generation.aspx correctly, the TSMMD discovery feature will find any instrumentation code in my app, and enable me to easily map my instrumentation code to the new TSMMD instrumentation model. So by definition the new TSMMD discovery feature is backward compatible with any instrumentation code, whether it was modeled using the previous VSMMD tool or not :) Is this Correct?