Initial experience with the VSMMD?

Topics: Event Log, General Discussion, Health Modeling, Instrumentation, Management Pack, MOM, Performance Counter, VSMMD, Windows Event 6.0
Developer
Apr 11, 2007 at 1:47 AM
As of this morning over 100 folks have downloaded the tooling (the guidance is ready...should be up there tomorrow). Have you installed the tool? Created a health model? Exported a health model to the MMD or to Microsoft Operations Manager? Any feedback?
Apr 15, 2007 at 8:49 PM
I tried to instal VSMMD 1.0 and setup.exe reported "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." I am the adminstrator of this machine and I have got no idea what it is talking about. What is wrong? What should I do to fix this? Why is the message more clear about what is wrong and how to fix it?
Developer
Apr 16, 2007 at 4:54 AM
Well...you're right, it's hard to tell from that message. But I'm wondering if you're trying to install it against VS Standard? The tooling is signed to be used with VS Professional "or above", which would be the Visual Studio Team System SKUs. Which version of VS are you using?
Apr 16, 2007 at 11:42 AM
I have the VSTS 2005 from my MSDN Premium subscription. According to your post it should install with that version. How can we tell the reason why it won't install? How do we fix it?
Developer
Apr 16, 2007 at 2:42 PM
We need more information. Can you launch msiexec with the /L option to create a log file? Here's a link to the full set of parameters for msiexec:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/9361d377-9011-4e21-8011-db371fa220ba1033.mspx?mfr=true
May 9, 2007 at 8:44 AM
Fantastic start. The guidance is very good and desperately needed, and I think the concept of designing your management layer separate to your code is the right way to go. When are you looking to ship the next release? The main thing I would like to see is the ability to create Performance Counter Categories, with that then I can really start to use this.
Developer
May 14, 2007 at 4:21 AM
>> When are you looking to ship the next release?

Nothing to announce yet, but if you're familiar with Microsoft planning, you'll know that right now folks are preparing their FY08 budgets, which start in July. So...assuming we get the approval to continue, you might expect a significant update in the 2nd half of this year.

>>The main thing I would like to see is the ability to create Performance Counter Categories, with that then I can really start to use this.

I'll throw that on the list. Right now our biggest concerns are a better SCOM export (our current process uses the MMD to do this, and they released a breaking update a week after we posted the CTP), support for Windows Eventing 6.0 (aka "Crimson), and some sort of standalone model viewer.

Thanks for your comments...

Keith