This project is read-only.

Performance Counter issues

Topics: Aspects, Instrumentation, Performance Counter
Jan 16, 2009 at 7:24 PM
Hi,

For the most part I like the tools, but it does a very bad job generating helper code for Performance counters.

Specifically it does a bad job of generating code for counters that require a base counter.

For example if I add the two required performance counters  AverageTimer, AverageBase to a Measure and then generate the code.
1.  The default implementation should have the incrementBy adds the passed in value for both, but it should add it to AverageTimer and only increment the AverageBase.
2.  It does not always add the AverageTimer and AverageBase in the installer in the correct order, in needs to always put the AverageTimer first and then AverageBase.
3.  It is annoying that it does not allow spaces in the category names for performance counters in the tool.

On all of theses I can manually massage the code and over come them, but it seems to be it should do all of them in the generated code.

On a side note it is kind of annoying to have to delete all the generated code before being able to generate new code.  It means having to manually massage the code again and the output paths as we want them dumped to a central lib directory so that our actual code in the main project can use assembly references to avoid having it add them back.

Thank you and keep improving the tools,
John
Jun 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback. I have included your feedback into our tracking database in the event the project (or similar one) should come to be.

Regarding your feedback this initial release of the tool was intended to demonstrate to overall use of Health Modeling tools in the software development lifecycle.  The focus is therefore on breadth rather than depth in each or the disciplines that TSMMD covers.

-Bill