Only 1 event per health state?

Topics: Aspects, General Discussion, Health Modeling, Instrumentation
Apr 22, 2008 at 5:19 PM
I have multiple events that can indicate a "Red" health state for my "Config" aspect but I am only allowed to add 1 event per health state using the VSMMD tool. Is this by design? Is my approach incorrect?
Coordinator
May 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Hi Colinn,

Yes you are correct this implementation allows only one event for each health state per aspect. The intent was to allow the architect to build some simple rules that expose why an application transitions from healthy to unhealthy and back again. This gives the operations folks a vantage point into the application that they did not have before.

In an operations console such as Operations Manager you can build complex rules that include the total system view.

For V2 we had plans to include some of the functionality provided by the authroing environment provided by Operations Manager 2007 however that did not make it above the cut line for V2.1 release in time for the Microsoft Management Summit Conference now going on.

The feature request is still on our list. Right now the workaround is to model multiple aspects at design time or build out more complex rules in the operations console.

-Bill

Colinn wrote:
I have multiple events that can indicate a "Red" health state for my "Config" aspect but I am only allowed to add 1 event per health state using the VSMMD tool. Is this by design? Is my approach incorrect?

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Another work around could be to create an abstract Event (e.g. called Green State Event) that has many "Configurable Implementations".
Assign to the "Green State Event" all the event logs that will make the application go to Green.